Calamity no more.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Work matters

Last week, I was approached by 768's management to help them settle two new foodstall's Halal application.

My response was simple. I said, "What benefit is there for me?" I am posted at 399 solely to manage 399's foodcourt operations. Why should I bother about whether other outlets sink or float?

Actually I feel bad for the way I handled it but not for being upfront. If there's one thing good about this job I've mentioned time and again, it is the fact that because of what I do, my community has more options to eat out.

But my company has been taking me for granted to the point of stepping on my head for a while now and it's about time I stood my ground.

Firstly, if they had taken up my offer back then to make me overall in charge of our company's Halal matters, this wouldn't be a problem.

Secondly, my company has an issue with hiring people from the minority community and it so happens that the Muslim community is the minority here.

A couple of valid reasons are that all company-wide meetings are conducted in Mandarin, daily sales reports should be typed in Mandarin and most of our tenants speak Mandarin. It also so happens that most members of the Muslim community don't do Mandarin.

For me, I speak and understand Mandarin so I'm considered quite important but unfortunately I don't write or read Mandarin. Too bad, huh?

I've reminded the powers that be many a time that if we are gonna tap into the Halal food industry then we'd have to take a more serious approach. Otherwise, we're just moving around in circles and superb employees like me will start to drag their feet to work.

After a while of working in this company, I do feel that there is an invisible ceiling placed on top of me. It's like I'm being exploited because of my Muslim status just to get the Halal certifications for the stalls and to maintain them when they've been acquired but I'll never have a chance to move up the ladder no matter how much I try.

Do remember that I'm carrying two portfolios but only one salary. Halal management is one thing. I also manage the foodcourt operations.

That's why I have decided not to stick around for long. Just long enough for me to put my masterplan in place and then off I go looking for greener pastures!

 
Name
Email
Write

form mail