Calamity no more.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

I've been planning for weeks to write a bit about my adventures checking out the food places around my place of work but I simply don't feel motivated to think about what to write about them.

As the foremost and leading food expert in Toa Payoh Lorong 1, I think my food reviews hold a lot of weight you know? Yeap.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a short one.

I've been wanting to try the food from Golden Pillow 933 for a while now and I finally did on Friday.

We had the chicken curry in a fluff of bread thing which everyone said was very good, fried chicken wings and fried rice to go with our coke delivered to us for dinner.

Let's be honest here. Besides the coke, we thought everything else was dog food. In fact, I'm not even sure if any dog would wanna have them actually. They were mediocre.

The chicken curry was bland. Curries are meant to be spicy. Nothing great about the fluffy bread which wasn't as fluffy as it looked. Just the dang novelty of it that excites people I guess. I've tasted better chicken curry with bread on the outside in my time.

The chicken wings tasted like it had been fried in oil that's been used to fry a million other things before. I know, because I started my FNB career as a cook and I've done the same. The wings are dark in colour and tasted like everything but chicken.

And they must have been rushing to deliver the food coz they forgot the basic rule of not straightaway packing food while they're still fresh from the wok/pot/cooker coz they're gonna come out soggy. Fried wings are supposed to be crispy but that's my own opinion. Maybe other folks like them feeling like turd, I don't know.

On the phone, I asked the idiot what the fried rice consists of. His reply? "Aw, it's norme flied lice lor..." Ya I know, but there are many types of flied lice. Seafood, beef, kampong, what is yours? "Norme lor!"

"Wahneenabehcheetot!" I cursed to myself as my nicotine-deprived brain mentally wringed the idiot's neck, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway and if it's bad like it was eventually, I was soooo gonna put it up on my blog.

What's so bad about it? The portion was just right for me. No problem with that. It filled up two of my five stomachs in the end. I only finished it coz I try not to waste food but uh, I thought the guy could have just damn told me it was seafood flied lice in the first place.

Unfortunately their flied lice was also bland. Tasteless. It was rice with a lot of colours but no substance. It was just rice tossed around in a wok for two minutes. In total, I think they used like a baby's pinch of salt, one piece of crab stick chopped into cubes of 1/2cm on each side, a teaspoon of oil (used of course!) and three pieces of inferior prawns.

VOILA! Seafood flied lice! Bon appetit monsieur, madame... .

I was gutted but thank God she brought Ferrero Rochers. That saved the evening.

And my final conclusion is, if it's not obvious enough? I hate spending $30 on something with no substance. I could have bought a more expensive pair of trainers with that kinda money!

 
Name
Email
Write

form mail