Calamity no more.

Friday, August 11, 2006

The Bad

Well the bad thing is I sort of screwed up at work on National Day. Both me and my colleague, Phil.

I actually see the lighter side of it. I'm not sure if I really care. Ha ha.

What happened was a few of us were sent to a church in Hougang to set up eight buffet stations with about six or seven dishes each as well as four drink and dessert stations for 850 people for their National Day function.

It wasn't really a straightforward thing. We were first attended by this lady who gave us instructions on how to do up the thing and were just going about doing our jobs when we got stopped more than one time by other members of the church's organizing committee who wanted things to be done differently.

Simply put, I believe there is a bit of power struggle going on within their committee and everyone wanted to have a say about the way things should be. I don't know about the other guys but I was pissed. I mean, HELLO, we haven't got all evening!

The lady actually whined to me about how she's been organizing this thing for years as compared to the other members and suddenly they wanna show how good they were blah blah blah.

One person wanted the drinks to all be in front, one wanted to put some at the back and some in front, one wanted all the buffet stations to change directions... . I was like, c'mon man, give us a break already, can we settle on anything!?

The lady complained about how the food portion wasn't enough and all. How some of the dishes filled only less than half of the foodpans in the warmers. I mean like, c'mon, hello Houston, do we look like chefs or people in charge of food portioning? We just deliver, set up, go and come back later to collect our stuff.

Obviously the lady wanted to show that she still had stripes among the members so she took it upon herself to come down personally to our office today to lodge a complain about the food portion issue. She also added fuel to the fire to complain about nobody being there last night to clear the mess.

Ok, this is where Phil's and my mistake comes in. We were supposed to standby at the church premises last night but we couldn't stand being at the end of other people's power struggle that we went to have dinner somewhere nearby instead. Besides, we were hungry.

We had a feeling the more we're there the more they're gonna order us to do this and that and this and that just because they wanna display who's more powerful among themselves. It's freaking annoying.

Today I was off but Phil went to work. To fast forward the story, because of the female dog, Phil lost his job. She actually asked for a 10% refund because of the food portioning issue which was none of our business but I guess Phil got sacked because of our disappearing act.

Heh, so maybe tomorrow I'd get the same treatment too. The funny thing is, this is all thanks to one person's pettiness. Sure we disappeared but at most she only had to wait 15 mins. They started eating their buffet some time after 1900hrs and we were back from dinner to clear up at 2000hrs.

And along with Phil and I and our truck, we also had two other trucks and four other people so we made quick work of clearing up.

Curse the female dog! I'd expect people of her standing to have more humility and compassion but I was dead wrong and tomorrow, I'm just dead.

 
Name
Email
Write

form mail