Calamity no more.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Out of every four books I borrow, three would suck. I don't know why.

I started out borrowing one book but I realized that if that one book was to suck, I'd have nothing else to read ever since I've stopped buying the papers in protest of the skewed news that's being dished out every day and also because of economic reasons.

Then I increased that to two books and then three but still I manage to sometimes get all three books to suck. So now I borrow four books at a pop. I think it might work at this rate. So far I've managed to at least get one book out of four to be read-worthy.

I don't know, I think it's weird but when I read I can actually hear the writers' accents too and there are some forms of accents my brain don't absorb very well.

And then there are slangs. I can actually tell which part of the country from which part of the world a writer is from from his or her choice of slang. Besides Singlish, I prefer Aussie (but of course, I'm a fake Perthling), Brit and American English best.

I can also tell where a writer is from from their sense of humour and wit. For example, most French writers have none of the two and therefore I usually avoid them.

Spanglish, 'Yo yo yo wassup English', Indian English and sms English I don't like to read in a book. Don't understand the writers' style.

I also don't like books from writers who try to be overly-funny (apparently it's possible). I shut MissFit by Maria Beaumont after just two chapters, dumped it into my knapsack and promised myself to avoid anything by this woman forever and ever. She's lucky I gave her two chapters. Other authors don't even get pass two paragraphs.

I'm fortunate the library exists. Imagine actually putting money into this hobby at the rate I'm hauling books off the shelves? Dang, I'd be wasting a fortune since three quarters of the books I haul would potentially suck.

 
Name
Email
Write

form mail