Calamity no more.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

In fact

I was so pissed off with Peter, our cleaning contractor this morning. His worker didn't turn up this morning and I had to do all his work!

I'm not pissed off with the worker in question who also happens to be Peter's dad. It's either probably his day off today or he's not feeling too good. He is after all an old man. Peter shouldn't have let his own father work split shifts like that in the first place. Give the old man a break!

He starts work at 0730hrs everyday, goes back home from Taman Jurong to Marsiling at 1500hrs to rest and comes back to work at 1800hrs-2200hrs. It's definitely gonna take a toll on his 60 over yrs old body.

No one informed either Peter's supervisor so he could come early, or us, the management. I only realised when I got to work, as usually the old man is the first to be there even before I am.

So after I finished all my paperwork, I rolled up my sleeves and took on the old man's job. I cleared and wiped tables, threw the piles of rubbish at the back of the kitchens as well as swept and mopped the entire floor area to prepare us for the lunch crowd. I don't like the foodcourt looking like crap. Lunch and dinner hours are our times to shine and leave a good impression.

I'm not bitter about having to do the old man's job. I've got a battle scar of a blister to show on one of my fingers from sweeping and my back hurts but as always, I'm down with the people. People were watching and wondering how come this strapping young, dude was doing all the dirty work but I'm not too proud for something like this. Not my first time, won't be the last time.

In fact, I feel enlightened. Now I know the shit I made the old man do all this time. Damn I'm evil. If I was to hurt like that, imagine the old man. And he's a good worker too. Always on his toes. I like him. I guess this particular trait of his didn't go down together with the rest of the gene pool when Peter happened.

Well if anything, I've also stumbled upon an opportunity of a prelude to the future seeing that it's possible that I may take over Peter's contract. Cool.

I really see no chance in Peter hanging around here. That's already been decided way before I thought about taking over him and today just emphasized a little more on the whys. The bugger wouldn't even answer his phone or even call us back later, no matter how late.

Heard that people all over my company have been looking for him. The workers in one of the other outlets simply didn't turn up for work on one of the days last week in protest of his late salary payments.

It is also a well-known fact that among all the four outlets that he's in charge of, we at 399 are the only ones who haven't fined or taken any disciplinary action on him for anything when there's been so many reasons for us to do so. We care for his well-being and we get none in return.

So that fact is about to change.

 
Name
Email
Write

form mail