Calamity no more.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Brake

So judging from the photos of my brother's birthday party on Sunday, everything seemed fine and dandy on my side.

The fact is further from the truth.

It was not only my brother's birthday party then, it was also the first day of our fasting month of Ramadhan and I was looking forward to celebrating both my Iftar (break of fast indicated by the evening prayer) and the party with my family.

So I've decided very early on that I had two choices: Either I leave work early to be with my family or, I leave work early to be with my family.

With choices like that, the decision was simple. I left work early to be with my family.

I've had enough of being worked to death. At 1530hrs on Sunday, I was already hanging on to my last breath, my body parts were aching and I was having trouble keeping my eyelids open. I declared myself done for the day, punched my card and left for home.

Whew! What a relief! I really didn't care anymore. So, so drained out I don't know if there's any word in the English dictionary to describe how I felt.

I managed to slide in two hours of nap at home before I got changed and took a cab to my brother's at Pasir Ris to link up with the rest.

The two hours of power nap helped a lot. I was still tired but at least I could feel myself connecting with people. I didn't just want to be there in body, I wanted to be there in spirit too. It's my brother's birthday!

For the record, Ann didn't make it. Said she wanted to spend the first Iftar of the Ramadhan with her dad and I had to respect that.

Yesterday was the first Perth Day I had after so long. It felt long although it's just over two weeks. Normally I could take this form of suffering but when one has been stretched to the limit every single minute of every single day for many days running, one would also surrender in the end, like I have.

Not embarrased to say it.

I had my Perth Day plan of which my priorities were:
1) Wash the toilet
2) Get myself slippers for use at home
3) Sign up for my driver's licence

But I didn't achieve those objectives. After going back to sleep after sahur (mealtime before start of fast) at 0630hrs or so, I woke up at around 1215hrs.

Got changed, went for a spot of shopping at Toa Payoh Central nearby, got myself three t-shirts for $9.70, some Tim Tam cookies and Enervon C vitamins, went to Yishun, made a split second decision to watch Miami Vice at the Yishun 10 cineplex and straight to my mom's after.

Haven't seen her for so long. Everyone needs to be replenished with soul food once in a while. I'm no different. Ann still couldn't make it coz she had a night class going on.

I love the t-shirts I got, thought Miami Vice was a rip off and had two helpings of my mom's chicken soup and rice. Chicken soup for the soul.

I felt my soul coming back to me after the first sip at Iftar. I didn't even think about having my drag of cigarette first like I usually do. And then I had a few more sips, finished two bowls in the end and completely felt like a new man after.

My English is very good, not shy to say this, but I thought Miami Vice as all English movies in cinemas in Singapore or even the world, need to be accompanied by English subtitles. That's what I'd do when I watch DVDs at home, I turn the English subtitles on.

Because why? Because there were some accents in the movie that I didn't catch. I know Colin Farrell tried hard, but he didn't really manage to mask his Irish accent well. There were so many other weird accents in the movie especially Gong Li's.

In the end, I just gave up and tried to understand the plot instead, which in my opinion didn't help much, because the whole movie was a letdown.

Whatever.

At least I got to spend some time with my sis Leita and Mr Ball Ball watching Hady Mirza win the second instalment of Singapore Idol on TV. For me, it didn't matter who wins it in this instalment coz I felt the other guy, Jonathan Leong, although not as talented as Hady, was a sincere guy and that is a strong point in my book.

 
Name
Email
Write

form mail