Calamity no more.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The best birthday present ever

Yesterday was an exceptional job-searching day. Four companies called to interview me.

Wow. Four calls for interviews. If only they came earlier.

But Alhamdulillah thank God nonetheless. I'm sure things happen for a reason. I'm just a small screw in God's work.

Like I shared with my sisters Liana and Lilies, could it be because I performed my special prayer last Friday night? Or could it be because I bathed in the special potion* my mom got from some religious guy?

So I went for two interviews yesterday. One is for a sales position in an IT company which also has a Halal catering arm (I actually whoooped when they told me this. They laughed.) and the other is for a Travel Consultant in a corporate travel agency.

There was supposed to be two more today but I cancelled them.

1) Because I owe my beloved Perthlings a phone call at 1030hrs.
- Couldn't reach them last week as the kids are on their holidays and were on the dialup Internet 24/7
- Finally my sister Lilie wrote to me and we arranged for me to call today

2) Because the IT co called and offered me the position.
- This would be my highest paying job ever and in line with my short term plan which is to leave after a year, take a loan from GE Money, combine with my savings and start something
- It's located at Simei (Why the heck do my jobs always have to be so far?)

3) The first interview today is only to be my second interview in the happy-clapping sales co
- I'm not too excited about being around happy-clapping people
- If I was to pass this round, there is still the third round. It's too long

4) The other interview today is for a telemarketing position
- Yeah right

So it looks like I'm going for the IT co job. I may even have a chance to moonlight in their catering arm and I'm sure after seeing my resume, they won't mind. We covered a bit about this yesterday anyway.

Alhamdulillah.

But the Happy Planet Index I took was correct to point out that in regards to my personal feelings, I do have some anxieties (which are not too severe) about the future which are affecting my overall well-being.

That thing with Max I have, I'm afraid I'd have to ditch him, for want of a better word.

Firstly, I can, because we don't have a signed agreement between us.

Secondly, although there is a possibility of me owning the shop fully in the end, Max wants me to one day take over his entire operations... but this clashes with my own plan to leave the country at the earliest convenience.

Thirdly, I admit that the business has made Max rich through whatever manner he runs his operations, but for me, it is not organized. And when things aren't organized, it pisses me off. I am very meticulous and I must have order in the things that I'm involved in.

Lastly, even when I finally take over the shop fully, or even his whole operations, I'd still be a franchise and very much at the mercy of Max's thumb. It'd still feel like working for someone which is something I do not want to do anymore a year from now.

I plan to launch something in August 2007... a birthday present for myself if you must.

PS: It's weird. After writing this entry, I received two more calls from companies asking me to go down for an interview with them but I told them sorry, I have already got a job.


* Actually I don't believe in this. I'd rather know that the results I get is because of my own efforts and not because of some mumbo jumbo, but at this stage, I would give ANYTHING a shot.

 
Name
Email
Write

form mail