Calamity no more.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Unconfusing confusion

I'd just like to clear something up.

This may offend some people but it is my stand on the matter and I will stick by it.

I actually do not like all this mumbo jumbo that has creeped into the religious practice in this region. I'm against it. I just feel wrong doing it.

Although I felt happy a few weeks ago after I express delivered to Heaven some food to my grandma through prayers and also for bathing in the special potion just to get a job recently, in my heart I know this is ridiculous.

What I felt (the happiness) was just a result of PLACEBO. The special prayer I performed last Friday night on the other hand, is in a different category.

It's a little overboard but you gotta understand that I had to do them for my mom even though it's against my own beliefs. I draw the line at a certain level but these things make her happy. What can a son do, huh?

Those amulets, special potion, artefacts or anything tangible that people say are supposed to be religious, are all tradition.

One must understand that Indonesia was once Hindu before it became Muslim. Some of the Hindu traditions found themselves in the people's Islamic practice as well, over the hundreds of years. And then they emigrated all over the place and spreaded the practice to wherever they ended up in.

For me, I'm the kind of guy who likes to strip things down to the lowest common denominator. When I observe something, I remove all mumbo jumbo and then I only take in the purest form or the most stripped-down form of whatever I am enriching my soul with. Everything I take in must be as close to its default condition as possible.

I know many people are waiting with bated breath to find out who I am gonna end up with to start my family. Well it's still a long way to go, but one thing's for sure - none of you will be invited to the wedding.

Because there won't be any.

It's important to stick with traditions but let's not get it confused with values and true religious practices (as per the sunnah). I'd rather use the money for my house... but you all can send the gifts over, no problem. When the time comes, you'll know which address to send 'em too. Heh heh.

 
Name
Email
Write

form mail