Calamity no more.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hoot!

Ok so I finally have a cushy job where I sit on my ass the whole day in front of the computer.

But I'm not exactly ecstatic.

The job terms are nice but I don't think the nature of the job and the work environment suit me.

It's sales. I have now become exactly the kind of person that I hate most - A CANVASSER.

GAAAAAAA!!!

My colleagues are made up of individuals who each have like ten jobs each. They have no time for small talk. In fact not all of them are always in the office. Sometimes they have to drop by our clients' to do er, stuff. It gets pretty lonely in there.

And then it's my nature of job. I have to make my own appointments. I am THE sales team.

I hate to do cold-calls.

1) Because I hate to face rejection

2) Because I hate to lie

Telemarketing requires a huge amount of conniving. It requires me to lie. On the phone I tell my prospects that I'm not selling anything, that I only want to show them our product and then gather their feedback but in reality my strategy is to get my sexy ass in their territories first THEN I turn things around and swoop for the kill.

Straight road to hell, that's what I think.

It's not easy telemarketing. I now have a database of contact details and a phone script. I should be making at least 100 calls but no, I only made about 20 today.

I deliberately stalled things. I make two calls, I surf the net, female-dog with my sisters, go for a smoke, go to the toilet and I make another two calls. Repeat process.

Assuming one call takes five minutes and taking my official working hours into consideration, that would translate into me skiving for almost seven hours!

That's baaad.

I was sick of talking. I never really liked talking on the phone anyway. My own handphone rings like only three times a week and most likely they're from my own family members. I only make calls out like once a week. I'd rather send sms texts or email.

When people ask me how my day is, I tell them, "Read my blog". *rolleyes*

I got one appointment today from my first call but everything practically went downhill thereafter. I began to lose my nerve after the 15th call onwards. I lost my plot, script or no script.

I hope the situation improves. In my job, I have to sell even if it means I have to lie, cheat or steal which isn't something I take pleasure in doing. One year is not really that long but I don't see why I should allow myself to be miserable till the year is up.

I should have listened to the guy I met last week on one of my interviews. He gave me some forms to check. He said they were to find out what kind of personality I am.

I was shocked with the result. It was very precise. It categorized me as an "owl eagle" which means I am both "owl" and "eagle".

Being an "owl" means I am a meticulous person who would fit nicely in an operations management type job... which is way true.

The "eagle" means I am a go getter and I should be at home in any sales job.

In the personality test, I was more "owl" than "eagle" by a mile.

I'm so messed up.

 
Name
Email
Write

form mail