Calamity no more.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Handy

Been spending the last couple of days doing a little bit of DIY work.

Can't say I like it but it's necessary to keep the cost of setting up shop manageable.

Spent yesterday preparing some neon lights and my countertop we got from IKEA. Well it's not really a countertop. It's just a little dumb I don't even know what to call it but it took me two damn hours to assemble.

Most of the time I was cursing myself for not putting the metal brackets on first before I assembled everything. I couldn't imagine myself dismantling everything and redoing it from scratch again so I decided not to do with the brackets. Now my drawer slides in and out of the counter spastically.

After work I kept my promise to visit mom coz she made lontong with everything on top specially for me. I was quite disappointed she didn't make sayor lodeh on the first day of Eid. I mean, all that time I spent in the toilet for nothing... .

Leita was gonna prepare the lontong for me on a plate. I was flabbergasted beyond belief. I was like, "Katak (as I call her), you're using a PLATE?" She was like, "Oh oh sorry!" And then she took out the casserole bowl. Aaahhh, that's more like it.

Gone in sixty seconds. My mom's jaw dropped.

And today I spent a total of six hours sawing and sandpapering a few planks of wood. That's a whole lot of hours for a few pieces of wood but I really hate DIY work coz I suck at it. I should have taken Home Economics at school coz I was really bad at Technical.

Needless to say, even after all the time spent I still managed to come up with a few smaller pieces of jagged planks. I can't saw for nuts and I only sandpapered them to make the sides fit the cavity I'm gonna fix them into. Doesn't have to be pretty. I don't really care anyway.

Then I decided to do something positive for the sake of my sanity so I made a 3.293sec decision to go rent a DVD. E-mail newsletters work sometimes. I saw that Play! had some good new titles on so I took 0.5 for a ride to Toa Payoh Central to go get the Click DVD.

I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't the usual laugh-till-my-sides-split movie by Adam Sandler but it was good all the same.

I learned some good lessons in there. Like junk food is bad, smoking is bad, family is above all, yada yada yada bada bing but what really stuck to my mind was this exchange by some guy named Morty to Sandler's character, Michael.

"Do you remember the leprechaun in the cereal advertisement?"

"There he was spending all that time looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow only to find out that it was just a bowl of cornflakes."

Now that was funny and good. Says a lot.

 
Name
Email
Write

form mail